The Van Vleck House & Gardens originated as a 12-acre private estate more than 140 years ago when Joseph Van Vleck Sr and his family moved to Montclair from Brooklyn in 1868. Like many successful businessmen of the era, Joseph Van Vleck Sr came to the suburbs seeking a refuge from industrial living and brought to Montclair a grand vision of a country estate surrounded by acres of landscaped grounds.
The main house provides a perfect setting for your important fundraiser, meetings or off-site gatherings. Views of the grounds are spectacular in every season. Three generations of the Van Vleck family lived on the property and developed the grounds throughout the past century. The heirs of Howard Van Vleck gave this historic, 6 acre site to the Montclair Foundation in 1993.
Van Vleck House & Gardens is operated by the Van Vleck Board of Management, a committee of The Montclair Foundation. These private gardens are open to the public, 365 days a year. The house is a canter for non-profit groups and is available to them for meetings, retreats, and fundraisers. Visitors are welcome to enjoy all the garden spaces and are encouraged to join us for classes, concerts, and special events.