Platform Development Manager
Job purpose: Managing the translation of business goals into agile product development through effective leadership and broad technical insight
Eventerprise, an early-stage SaaS platform for the global events industry, is looking for an ambitious Platform Development Manager who is hungry for a challenge of epic scale and comes packing a wide range of skills, some solid experience, and a can-do attitude. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of the ongoing platform revolution as well as the subscription economy.
We are not looking for a master specialist in any particular field, but an agile all-rounder with insight into the full tech stack, including the usual suspects: back- and front-end development, database management, UI and UX. Those insights should underpin sound leadership skills and the ability to act as a scrum master to remote teams. You will be working with a highly experienced executive team with combined management and leadership experience of more than 80 years, and all of whom are committed to the building of something bigger than themselves.
If you are part of that rare breed who can marry technical expertise with effective leadership traits, and who rates personal and team accomplishments over immediate material rewards we would like to hear from you.
Scope of role
- To act as the pivot between our business development team, UX team, and our software developers, supporting them in building industry leading, search engine optimised, robust, and innovative software solutions that are fit for purpose.
- The role will be based at our Cape Town, South Africa hub.
Team leadership, strategy & planning
- Translate business goals and project outlines into clear briefs for our development team
- Review project progress and overview of the performance of all individuals in team
- Facilitate the smooth delivery of all projects, enhancements and support delivered by the team
- Make sure that all team members have the latest in-depth knowledge of all onsite and relevant off-site aspects at the heart of all decisions on projects or enhancements that they make
- Facilitate technology and methodology decision making throughout team, including standardisation of system architecture, reusable code base development, versions of software tools, best practice, source control and deployment processes
- Have a clear task list and plan for inducting new members into the team and bring them up-to-speed as quickly as possible
- Make sure that all training and support that team members require is delivered internally or externally
- Keep up to date with the latest software development technologies and methodologies
- Drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the team
Communication and problem solving
- Assist in critical support issues where your experience is required to ascertain the issue quickly and to find the more appropriate resolution
- Take control over critical support instances and putting into place the correct escalation and process to manage and resolve issue as soon as possible
- Create a culture of promoting new ideas or up-sell opportunities within the team
- Encourage pro-active discussions between business development, UX and development teams
- Contribute regularly to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company.
- Instigate cross team ideas and initiatives – to bring products and services together
- Make sure the development team are integrating other team’s services efficiently and that they are offering technical input into how all Eventerprise services can be delivered and improved
- Strive to ensure that processes and appropriate levels of knowledge are shared between teams
- Make sure reports are written and adhere to brand/template guidelines and communication is at an excellent and professional level
- Support the technical strategy and implementation of our own internal development stream activities
- Provide training and workshops as required
Company best practice
- Stay aware of latest data protection and security threats and to make sure we mitigate against these risks against known industry standards
- Make sure that team/company are aware of these issues
- Ensure all development and UX team members develop, a strong understanding of the products, competition, industry, marketing goals and objectives of Eventerprise
- Efficiently manage team workloads and accurately record work time using the company timesheet system.
- Ensure your knowledge of software development is kept up to date and relevant by networking/researching/reading blogs and news sources
- Freely share knowledge, insight, best practice and ideas
- Actively contribute to the Eventerprise blog
Innovation and research and development
- Proactively drive innovation with new ideas and options made available by new technologies
- Maintain and actively contribute to a list of innovation & research projects
- Assist by offering strategic and technical advice for anyone working on these projects
- Implement and monitor ongoing strategies to enable us to deliver quality and excellence through robust testing, education and policies.
- Foster a focus on excellence across the development team
- Software development experience and/or exposure
- Sound knowledge of UX and UI principles
- A good knowledge of effective SEO strategies and techniques
- Intermediate level (knowledge and experience) of programming languages and methodologies
- Advanced level of understanding of the following languages, frameworks, and technologies:
- Familiarity with the following applications and/or technologies:
- search algorithms, cloud hosting, newsletter and live chat applications, review systems, payment gateways, business intelligence apps, Google DoubleClick, CRMs, data storage and backups.
- Experience of managing, directing and motivating staff to deliver projects with stretching scope and objectives
- Highly numerate and literate, with the ability to produce top quality briefs and strategy and implementation communication
- Excellent working knowledge of major social media channels including Facebook and Twitter
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills
- Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure
- Professional attitude and leads by example
- Bright, highly self-motivated and driven
- Passionate about Software Development, with a general thirst for digital knowledge and a significant interest in new emerging technologies
- Ability to solve problems quickly and efficiently
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
- Innovative and creative, with a concise, precise and effective approach to problem solving
- Credible, confident and articulate, with excellent communication skills
- Reliable, flexible and cooperative
- Diplomatic and tactful
- Personable and approachable, with an enthusiastic and motivational nature and an overall passion for excellence
Eventerprise.com is an early-stage Saas platform that connects transparently reviewed event-related businesses with clients who want to organise an event. Our distributed organization comprises teams of experienced business leaders and subject experts based on four continents. Learn more about us.